Jingle bells, jingle bells, jingle all the way….to the Alternative Christmas gifts in the back of the sanctuary! This year’s eight gift projects include four local and four international recipients, plus the always-popular Fair Trade Olive Oil from Palestinian farmers. All of our projects have been connected with NYAPC as part of our mission and partner relationships.
Locally we have our traditional:
- Open Arms Housing supporting 90 of the city’s most vulnerable women
- Geriatric Day Care for 40 DC senior residents and their caregivers
- Capital Area Immigrants’ Rights Coalition, led by our own Kathy Doan, was a new addition to our projects last year. It provides legal services annually to 500 children— toddlers through teens- -through CAIR’s Detained Children’s Program
- Our new program this year is One D.C., with a grassroots organizing mission involved in worker co-ops, job apprenticeships and training
Internationally, you are familiar with
- The Kenya Orphans and Vulnerable Children program that helps 35 children each Saturday and provides comprehensive assistance.
- First Presbyterian of Havana with its new pastor, Rev. Liudmila Hernández, who is working to expand First Havana’s mission outreach, especially with children and youth, and is embarking on church renovations including the library to provide computers for young people.
- The Presbyterian Churches in Baghdad and Basra, Iraq struggle to continue their missions with internally displaced refugees, their Pre-K schools, and FM radio outreach. In October, the Baghdad Church opened three new grades to its Pre-K school and needs school desks and equipment.
- The Presbyterian Churches in Homs and Damascus, Syria continue to cope with war and bombing while welcoming back Syrian refugees and continuing their thriving services and missions.
Finally, you know about that wonderful Palestinian olive oil that you love to use and give as perfect gifts. Just $20 a bottle and it goes fast!! Get your bottles before they run out.
So jingle your way to the Alternative Christmas tables, look at the wonderful projects, get more details and inspiration from the catalog. You may buy your gifts at the tables today and the next two Sundays, or go online to the NYAPC web site. Pick up a catalog for details on giving and the projects.
GIVE LOVE THIS CHRISTMAS!! During Advent, bring Hope, Joy, Love, and Peace to those who need it most. Give Alternative Christmas gifts in anticipation of the coming Emmanuel.
-Marilyn Seiber, December 2, 2018